You learn a lot while getting started running. The one thing I learned quickly was just how much money you could end up spending on running. I mean, all you do is run. How much could that cost? It turns out, that answer can be a lot.
I have been pretty good at keeping the costs down. Focus on basics and know that you can usually find sales. Here are a few items that I consider essential to getting started with your running.
A big start in the journey is getting proper running clothes. This is a different set of requirements for men and women. I won’t exactly focus on anything other than general items.
- Running Shoes. Get to a local running store and find a good pair of shoes. You can spend a little or a lot. I’d suggest picking something in the middle price range to start. Try out different shoes including Addidas, Brooks, Mizuno, Nike, Newton, New Balance, Saucony and more.
- Running Shorts / Shirts. Get yourself a pair of actual running shorts and a good shirt (tee, tank, whatever). They don’t have to be expensive but get ones that will wick away sweat. You can find great deals at Outlet mall stores such as Nike and Under Armour.
- Socks. Yes, socks. Get some comfortable and breathable socks to run in.
In addition to clothes, you may want to look at adding in some of these items.
- Water Bottle(s). You need to hydrate properly and carrying water is key. You may end up with a small and larget one but you can try this one to start.
- Fitness Tracker. You can use your phone or a dedicated fitness device. Read more about tracking your goals here.
- Winter Accessories (if needed). Arm Sleeves, Gloves, and Hats. Buy ones that are for active sports to meet your needs the first time.
Since starting running, I have bought more than what has been listed above but these are the basics. For 90% of the days I run, this is enough. Don’t get carried away with spending money but make an investment to be successful.
Do you have any must-have products for your running routines? Let us know.